Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wrapped Brats


By Paul Briand

For my Super Bowl spread, I wanted pigs in a blanket. I figured if I was going to go whole why not a bit of pig in dough.

But I couldn't find any pigs in a blanket when I went shopping for my Super Bowl food. What to do?

I came up with Wrapped Brats -- basically cooked Bratwurst wrapped in tortillas.

Ingredients
Bratwurst
Burrito size flour tortillas

Directions
1. Cook the Brats -- fry or grill -- and set aside;
2. Take a tortilla and trim from the edges in to the width of a brat, then cut that tortilla in half;
3. Take trimmed tortilla half and roll over the Brat, secure with a toothpick at each end;
4. Continue process until all Brats are rolled;
5. Arrange on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray;
6. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for about five minutes or until the tortillas start brown at the edges;
7. Remove from oven and cut each Wrapped Brat in half;
8. Serve with your favorite dipping mustard.

A package of eight Brats will require four tortilla shells and will yield, according to directions above, 16 Wrapped Brats.

And don't throw away those trimmed tortilla edges. Cut those into halves or thirds to make them into chip size. Arrange chips on a cookie sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Cook in the oven on a separate rack while the Wrapped Brats are baking. Remove the chips after a few minutes to check for brownness; use a spatula to flip to make sure both sides get crisp. Serve the chips with your favorite dip ... such as guacamole.
Digg this

No comments: