Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pesto-Parmesan-Topped Burgers


By Paul Briand

I'm going to go on a burgers and dogs rant for the next few weeks. It's been ideal grilling weather, and I've been looking for new takes on the traditional grilling fare of hot dogs and hamburgers.

Today's burger comes from the "Flat Belly Diet for Men" book that I've written about in the past. Making use of the diet's recommendations and using many of the recipes in the book, including this one, I've lost more than 20 pounds since March. Read about it here.

What intrigued me about this recipe was the topping: pesto, which gave the whole eating experience a nutty quality to it.

Ingredients
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
4 Portuguese rolls, split and toasted
4 Boston lettuce leaves
1/2 tomato, cut into 4 slices
1/4 cup pesto
1/2 red onion, cut into 4 slices

Directions
1. Heat the grill to medium high heat
2. Combine the beef and pepper and form into four patties;
3. Set the burgers on the grill rack coated with cooking spray and grill 4 minutes, turn the burgers, grill another 4 minutes and top with Parmesan. Grill about 2 minutes longer, until the cheese melts, then remove from grill and set aside;
4. Set the roll bottoms on a work surface, top each with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 tomato slice, 1 tablespoon of pesto, 1 onion slice and 1 burger. Complete the burger with the top half of the bun and enjoy.

Some notes: I grilled my red onion slices first, giving them a nice bit of carmelization. I used a lot more Parmesan than what was called for, and I used fresh Parmesan, not the stuff out of the can ... what a difference.

Next week: Kielbasa Chili Dogs

Digg this

No comments: