Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Beef and Broccoli


By Paul Briand

As part of our holiday travels, my wife Jane and I visited Jane's daughter in Richmond, VA, and during a walking tour of one of the neighborhoods we stepped into a Penzeys Spices shop.

I hadn't heard of the store, but there are shops throughout the country, according to the web site.

What I liked about the store was the aroma. You can imagine that a spice shop would be an assault on the sense of smell, but it wasn't overwhelming. Frankly, it made me hungry.

The other thing I liked about the store was the offer of all kinds of recipes to go along with various spices from Penzeys, including some unique blends for specific purposes. This recipe, for example, called for Chicago Steak Seasoning from Penzeys.

I helped myself to the recipes, but didn't buy any spice. I really had enough of what I need in my pantry. So I adapted the recipe without the Penzeys spice.

Ingredients
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons of a base Italian dressing of vinegar and oil
1 teaspoons garlic powder
3 cups spinach
3 cups mixed greens
1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 pound sirloin steak
Pepper, salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups chopped broccoli

Directions
1. Put the soy sauce, rice vinegar canola oil, vinegar/oil, and garlic in a cruet or jar with a lid. Shake well and set aside;
2. In a large salad bowl, toss the spinach, mixed greens, pepper and carrot with the dressing (saving 2 tablespoons). Place on a large platter;
3. Season the meat with salt and pepper and cut into thin slices;
4. Add olive oil to a wok or large saucepan to high heat and, when oil it hot, add the steak and cook for 3 minutes until brown, stirring regularly;
5. Add the broccoli and the remaining dressing and cook for 2 or 3 minutes;
6. Top the greens with the prepared beef and broccoli. Serves four.



Digg this

No comments: