Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Enchilada Bake


By Paul Briand

My favorite food group is salsa and chips.

I'm finding, however, that I should learn to live with fewer chips in my diet. But I'm loath to give up on salsa. What to do? Find recipes that incorporate salsa into the meal.

I've already offered in this space a recipe for Easy Chili that incorporates salsa.

But I don't want to be a one-hit wonder. So I found a good source of salsa recipes here from the makers of the Spike's salsas I often buy at my local supermarket.

This is the Enchilada Bake, picture courtesy of the web site. (It goes without saying that if you have a favorite salsa in can easily substitute for the Spike's.)

Ingredients
Half cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
8 ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese
Half cup milk
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
Half cup black olives, sliced
8 flour tortillas (6 inch)
1 jar Spike’s Santa Fe Medium Salsa
Green onion, sliced for garnish
Oil

Directions
1. Melt butter in large saucepan and add onion, heat until onion is tender, or begins to turn translucent;
2. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and milk to onion mixture, stir;
3. Add cooked chicken and olives; mix well;
4. Remove from heat and set aside;
5. Add enough oil to a large skillet to 1/4" depth and heat to medium high;
6. Add tortillas one at a time and cook until softened, turning once;
7. Remove and drain on paper towels;
8. Place 1/4 cup of the chicken cheese mixture down the center of each tortilla and roll up;
9. Place seam-side down in a 12-by-8 inch baking dish. Top with salsa;
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, top with remaining cheese and more olives if desired;
11. Sprinkle with green onion and serve.
Digg this

No comments: