Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Zesty Salmon and Potato Salad


By Paul Briand

This week I managed to come up with a recipe that combined two of my wife Jane's favorite foods -- potatoes (she's Irish) and salmon (she must also be part Grizzly Bear).

The original recipe I found did something cruel to prepare the salmon: It recommended microwaving it. Ewww.

I gave it the full grill treatment, because I liked having that teeny bit of crunch to the fish.

The other thing I changed is the onion. The recipe called for red onion, which I think can be too overpowering at times, especially raw in a salad. I substituted Vidalia onion.

Ingredients
1 pound small red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
Salt
1 1/2 pounds of salmon fillet
1/4 cup of chopped Vidalia onion
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 head Bibb or romaine lettuce, cleaned and torn into bite-size pieces

Directions
1. Cover the potatoes with cold water, add some salt and bring to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside;
2. In the meantime, grill the salmon until flakey. (I removed the skin just before it was done and then grilled the skin side to give myself some nice browning on both sides.);
3. Use a fork to flake the fish meat apart into bite size chunks;
4. Transfer potatoes and flaked salmon into large mixing bowl;
5. Mix together the onion, sour cream, mayonnaise, chives, lemon juice and horseradish in a small bowl;
6. Use 2 tablespoons of the dressing to toss with the lettuce;
7. Use remaining dressing to toss the potatoes and salmon;
8. Arrange lettuce on four plates, top with potatoes and salmon, and serve.
Digg this

No comments: