Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ham Casserole


By Paul Briand

What to do with the leftover Easter ham? Well, my mother is taking care of the bone by making a split pea and ham soup. I doled out some leftovers to family, and I still had plenty for this casserole, adapted from a recipe titled (appropriately enough) End of the Line Ham Casserole on AllRecipes.com.

The AllRecipe version used a little parmesan cheese -- all of 2 tablespoons. I went all out with a package of low-fat Italian blend cheeses. Also, I topped mine with a handful of crumbled French Fried Onions that I had leftover from the breaded pork chops I made not too long ago.

Ingredients
1 can condensed cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk
ground black pepper to taste
2 potatoes, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cups cooked ham, diced
1 7-ounce package of low-fat shredded Italian cheeses
¼ cup French Fried Onions, crumbled

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees;
2. In an 8x8 inch casserole dish, combine cream of celery soup with milk and a generous amount of pepper;
3. Layer the potato slices, then onion slices then ham on top;
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour;
5. Remove foil and sprinkle the cheese and crumbled French Fried Onions over the entire surface;
6. Bake uncovered for another 20 minutes or when cheese is bubbly, then let rest five minutes and serve.


Digg this

No comments: