Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Speedy Pasta In A Pan


By Paul Briand

I’m a news hound, and I have a variety of apps on my BlackBerry smartphone and my Apple iPod Touch to browse headlines and read stories.

I’m also a recipe hound. And there’s an app for that too: Foodily.

I’ve been using the Foodily app on my iPod Touch for a few weeks. Foodily compiles recipes, and, if you see one you like, it connects you to its original source. I recently connected with this recipe for Speedy Pasta In A Pan.

It worked out well, and gives me yet another source of recipes to satisfy my need to find something interesting, something fun to cook and eat at home.

Note: When it says use large skillet, use a very large skillet. You may even want to use a pot. This recipe creates a pretty good sized bulk of sauce, pasta and cheese.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 14-ounce can organic, diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon each chopped fresh basil and oregano
1 pound fresh or defrosted frozen cheese ravioli
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought
8 slices fresh mozzarella, or 3 cups shredded mozzarella

Directions
1. Heat a large nonstick pan and drizzle in the olive oil. Over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic until golden;
2. Add the diced tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes;
3. Remove half the tomato mixture and set aside;
4. Top the tomatoes in the pot with a layer of uncooked ravioli, then a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, a cup of the tomato sauce, and the remaining tomato mixture;
5. Nestle the last raviolis into the pan, topping with the tomato sauce and the mozzarella;
6. Cover the pan with a lid or a layer of foil and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes;
7. Let the dish relax off the heat for a few minutes to let everything settle before serving.



Digg this

No comments: