Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Lemon Shrimp On Rice


By Paul Briand

One way or the other, I planned to do a shrimp recipe for this week.

And I had two in mind: This Lemon Shrimp On Rice, which came as part of a coupon book from the supermarket where I food shop; and a Puff Pastry-Wrapped Jumbo Shrimp recipe that I found cruising the web.

My wife Jane preferred the pastry-wrapped shrimp -- with its garlic and herb spread and bacon and buttery puff pastry.

I decided on the lemon shrimp for the simple reason of getting on on the scale Monday morning and not liking what I saw.

This is pretty simple and low fat, and I adapted it here from the original.

I’m sure I’ll get to the puff pastry shrimp recipe soon.

Ingredients
1 cup of your favorite rice (enough to make for four servings)
1 cup of low-sodium chicken broth
1 ¼ cup water
1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
2 cloves minced garlic
Red pepper flakes to taste (1/8 to ¼ teaspoon)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 pound prepared cooked shrimp (the larger the better)
1 lemon, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro

Directions
1. Make sure the prepared shrimp is fully thawed, at room temperature and dry;
2. Cook the rice according to normal instructions, but bringing the cup of broth and the cup and a quarter of water to a boil;
3. Add the butter, garlic, red pepper and lemon zest, stir;
4. Add the rice, stir, cover and turn the heat to low;
5. Simmer rice the normal cooking time until done;
6. Stir in the shrimp and lemon slices;
7. Cover, remove from heat and let sit for three minutes;
8. Top mixture with cilantro and serve.



Digg this

No comments: